Sunday, March 21, 2010

Mon. March 22


"Fran"

21,15,9 of:
Thrusters (95/65)
Pull Ups

Strength:
Front Squats
3-3-3-3-3
_________________________________
*from paleochix.com

5 Minute Paleo

I like to say that I’m a 5-minute Paleo girl. A lot of people prep and plan, but I frankly don’t know what I will be hungry for any given day, so more often than not I wing it. I have 3 busy daughters, a full-time job and a budding gym, not to mention my own workouts, but somehow this works really well for me. I have come to the point of unconscious competence (see my post of 2/10/10).

Sure, I try new recipes at least once a week, and take great pride in my Sunday dinners, but whipping up a good, well- rounded Paleo meal has become common place. I eat lunch at home most days and love knowing that I can make whatever I’m craving that day, and still have time during my lunch-hour to relax or get my laundry started.

So getting to the point here….. once Paleo becomes a natural, normal way of eating for you, you will develop a list of staples in your household that will allow you this freedom. The most common question I get with someone starting Paleo seems to be “what do I buy.” Sure you know the basic drill – meat, vegetables, nuts&seeds, some fruit, NO GRAINS and NO SUGAR but when it comes to what to buy people seem at a loss.

Here is my list of staples that allows me to make most anything. Of course I have a cajillion spices, and add this and that, but these are the items I have all the time in my kitchen:

* almond meal – I use this mostly for fritters, meatloaf and as a coating when I fry things
* coconut oil – excellent for frying
* olive oil
* garlic – I want it on EVERYTHING!!!! Vampires will never bother me!
* sea salt
* coconut milk – love my shakes!
* berries
* apples
* eggs
* broccoli slaw – one of the coolest all-purpose items! I use it for salads, stir fry, you name it!
* mushrooms
* celery
* onion
* spinach
* tomato
* carrots
* almonds
* chicken
* steak
* canned tuna – good to have around when pressed for time
* canned tomato sauce ( sugar free!)
* ground beef

So what to make??? OH MY HECK!!! The possibilities are ENDLESS! And the 5-minute stuff – easy peeasy! Here are a few super, duper quick recipes that will cover all the bases :

HERM’S BEEF EGGS

1 lb ground beef

1 cup spinach

6 eggs

Brown ground beef adding in whatever spices you choose. Once brown, add spinach on top til it cooks down. Lastly, cover whole mixture with 6 eggs. My very routine boyfriend swears by this for breakfast and it keeps him satisfied til dinner.

PONY’S BROCCOLI CRUNCH (Thanks Aileen!)

1/2 bag of broccoli slaw

1 can of tuna drained

hand full of nuts or seeds

1tsp of olive oil, apple cider vinegar or dare i say Italian dressing – its only a tsp!!

mix well – YUMMY!!! Also add in grapes or raisins and or dried cranberries

PATTY’S LEFT OVER SALAD

*always, always make a little extra of ANY meat you cook!!!

big bowl of mixed greens

1 avocado sliced

cut up leftover meat

salad dressing made of lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt basil too taste

and VOILA!!! One of my favorite meals!!

I hope I have been able to show you that Paleo IS possible in under 5 minutes, and you don’t have to cook well to enjoy a good, filling Paleo meal!!!

1 comment:

  1. Herms Beef Eggs. Do you pour the six eggs on mixture and continue to cook or is this more of a raw egg meal? Dumb question I know, but I need things spelled out for me.

    ReplyDelete