Monday, January 4, 2010

Tues. Jan. 5

"Grace"

30 Clean/Jerk for time (135/95)
*each rep counts from ground to overhead.
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/grace-off.wmv



Strength:
Overhead Squat
5-5-5-5-5
Muscle Snatch
3-3-3-3-3

NO EXCUSES 2010: PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

Article taken from CrossFit Evolution

Take responsibility for your actions and inactions. Even better, don’t be guilty of inaction. What’s an inaction? Every time you make an excuse to NOT do something, that you DO want to do, that’s an inaction. Stop making excuses and choose action. It won’t be easy, in fact, it may be the hardest thing that you’ll ever have to do. Why is that?

Because in today’s society, it’s easy to get busy and get lost in the “not-so-important” details of life. It’s easy to say “I’m too busy. I don’t have time. I don’t have the money. I’m not smart enough. I’m too old.” So many people settle for mediocre, average, and ordinary. Why aim so low, when life is so short? Your best years are probably right NOW.

Stop being a bystander to your own life, watching everything go by while it’s happening right in front of you. You alone control the direction of your life. You control your happiness. If not you, then who? The answer is anyone, anything, or worse… no one. Here’s how it works, in a nutshell. Instead of making an excuse, just say the truth: I don’t want to. It is a conversation ender, but why waste time (yours or someone else’s)? If it’s NOT the truth, meaning you really do want to do it, then it’s an excuse. Stop the excuses, and figure out a way to do what you really want to do.

Disclaimer: This doesn’t mean there are no repercussions for your actions and I assume that we know right from wrong and the differences between moral and immoral. Do not break the law or intentionally hurt someone.

2nd Disclaimer: Do not use your faith as an excuse either: “I am waiting for God to show me or bring it to me”, or “It’ll happen on it’s own if it was meant to be”. This actually may be THE biggest excuse used. I am not going to get into a religious discussion, all I will quote is an old proverb: “God put the bird on the earth. God put the worm on the earth for the bird to eat. But God did NOT put the worm in the bird’s mouth.” Religion and faith is beautiful, but stop using it as a crutch & excuse. There are many opportunities out there and many ways in which to achieve them, but first you have to pay attention and then you’ll have to go after it… just like that bird.

Popular excuses: I don’t have the money. I don’t have time. I’m too busy.
While this may be true, what it really means is that you don’t want to spend your money or time on that item/luxury/service. There is no right or wrong, just truth. Many people when faced with something that they want very badly, will find the money or time for said item. It usually involves giving up something else of lesser value. Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

More popular excuses: I’m too old. I’m too overweight. I’m too weak.
Those excuses mean 1 of 2 things: 1) I’m too lazy to see this through, or 2) I have low self-esteem. Sorry, but it’s the truth, and sometimes it’s painful. Example: someone comes to a gym and says they want to get in shape. Followed by, this looks too hard for me. If you think it is, it is, because you either don’t want to work to get in shape or you don’t think you can do it. You came to me, so you must want my help. Trust that I want to improve you and not injure you. Why? Cause if you don’t improve, you can quit paying me. If you get injured, you can quit paying me also. And why would I want that??

I am not saying that the above excuses are not true, they are, but it goes deeper than that. If you want something, if it’s important, you will go after it. I want to get people fired up enough to realize that it’s high time they: 1) recognize what is important, and 2) do something about it and stop making excuses. Go after your dreams now, because you are getting older every day, and you only have a finite time on this earth to experience life. Take it to it’s fullest.

Let’s look past the ordinary New Year resolutions and into some extraordinary goals. It starts with being more specific and even better if you can set a time-line. Dream big and aim high, cause even if you miss your target, you’re still closer than had you kept your eyes closed. So, open your eyes and start living.

2 comments:

  1. 3:47 (95 lb)

    Tyler Buck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler, are you the new guy that came in yesterday? I think you should have gone heavier ;)
    Good article Stephen, please give it to everyone you know!!! it's so true! ok, that's all

    ReplyDelete